Friday, August 22, 2008

the value of money

I don't know how I could have forgotten to blog about something so amusing.

Two weeks ago, I took the little man with me to the grocery store. We do our grocery shopping at Wal-Mart because it's a one stop shopping (a must when you have twins and a toddler). Every time we go there, he asks for a toy. Most of the time, it's ok but we need to start putting some limit because the toys in our house are multiplying like rabbits.

When we got to the store the little man asked if he could get a toy. I told him no, not this time because we don't have money. He said he did have money and he brought it with him. He held out his hand and showed me a nice shiny penny. I grinned at him and explained that it wasn't enough to get him anything. He insisted that it was enough and that he wanted to give it to the cashier to get a toy. I told him if he wanted to buy something, he must save all the money he has, in the meantime I offered to hold his money for him.

I talk about not having money with him, but I think it's time to teach him the value of each coin. It may be tough though since I don't even carry cash anymore. :-(

1 comment:

Sheena/H2Mommy said...

Aww...that is so sweet. Don't you just wish that you didn't have to worry about teaching them about money. It's such a tough thing you have to deal with your entire life...can't we just put it off?!? :-D