Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Explotion in the Neighborhood

A lot has happened this past few days and I have a lot of pictures to post. But I have no time right now except to enter a post.

Yesterday at about 3:30 pm, Matty had just woken up from his nap and we were all in the livingroom, when we hard a bang. It wasn't loud at all. What was alarming enough that Daddy had to get up and check it out, was that the whole house vibrated. I thought maybe the a tree branch had fallen off and hit the roof. Daddy checked the perimeter of the house and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. He checked out the attic and found nothing.

This morning after I got back from driving Matty to school, I saw police everywhere. There was a police car about every 300 feet or so. And when I turned into our neighborhood, I could hardly drive through the street. There were tons of cars, mobile units, fire trucks, etc.

I didn't find any cops that I could easily talk to without getting out of the car, so I just drove straight to the house with all sorts of horrible thoughts going through my head. Was there a kid that was hurt? Surely some brawl or domestic violence, or even homicide wouldn't require that many police unit.

I turned on the TV when I got home and found out what it was. A house, about 1/4 of a mile away had an explosion. A person, who handles civil war munitions in his detached garage died when the thing he was handling exploded. Twenty or so houses were evacuated yesterday because of possibility of other things exploding.

Wow. We moved from a neighborhood with noisy teenagers, loiterers, illegal immigrants who constantly rang our doorbell at 5am (only to find out that they got the wrong house) on days we would rather sleep in to a neighborhood with older people who keep to themselves, who apparently handles exploding materials in their house!

I have 3 young kids. My heart can't take this kind of excitement. Sign me up for a community in a bubble.

On the upside, I'm thankful our house wasn't one of the ones that had to be evacuated. A sick hubby, a toddler with endless monkey energy (there was no school yesterday) and 8 month old twins would not have been easy to evacuate.

My condolonces to the family of the person who died.

No comments: